What Are Types Of Preventive Dentistry?
Types of Preventive Dental Care
To maintain a healthy set of teeth, daily brushing and flossing are not enough. You will also need to go to your trusted dental clinic for regular dental checkups. This is called preventive dental care, and there are actually various types of treatments that can help give your teeth extra protection.
One of the most popular dental preventive care you can get at your dental clinic is called Prophylaxis. This is a form of deep cleaning that uses either a conventional dental tool called a metal scraper, or a more sophisticated device called a dental ultrasonic cleaner. Your dentist or professional dental hygiene is the one who does prophylaxis on your teeth. The purpose is to get rid of any plaque build-up and stubborn tartar between your gum line and around it.
In addition to cleaning, prophylaxis may also include dental examinations to ensure that any potential problems in your teeth and mouth are addressed immediately. For instance, your dentist may also take an X-ray to see if there are any cavities that form between your teeth.
Many individuals are more likely than others to experience cavity and tooth decay. Your dentist may prescribe dental sealants, depending on your dental history and condition.
Sealants are plastic coatings that are added to your molars and premolars surface to prevent food particles from getting stuck between your teeth. These rear teeth are more vulnerable to decay because when we feed they do most of the chewing. Getting sealants is a quick and easy operation. Your dentist must clean your teeth first, and then apply the sealant. The sealant is protected by a special light-emitting device, and once mounted, you already have a protective film over the teeth.
Other Dental Tests
Preventive dental care also involves assessments such as oral cancer screening and TMJ exams. The key to improving the chances of resolving these diseases/disorders is always early detection.
What’s your role in preventive dental care?
Most of your dental preventive treatment starts with you. The early development of good dental habits may help minimize cavities, gum disease and gingivitis. Here are the basics of good oral health:
- Using a soft-bristled brush and a fluoride toothpaste, brush your teeth at least 2 times a day-usually morning and night. Your dentist will recommend that you get the right toothbrush and toothpaste. We can also advise you on how to brush properly.
- Floss daily to get food that’s stuck between teeth before it turns to plaque.
- Use a mouthwash to rinse out food particles after flossing.
- Avoid acidic foods that can harm tooth enamel.
- Be cautious with hard foods, such as some candy, foods with bones, seeds, or pits that might harm or chip teeth.
- Don’t smoke or use tobacco products--these can lead to cancer and other dental problems.
- Use a mouthguard when participating in certain sports.
- When you grit your teeth at night, ask your dentist for a mouthguard during the night to help minimize the gum recession.
Are You Looking for Preventative Dentistry Experts You Can Trust?
Drs. Jabbour and Kwon know that the perfect smile takes precision as well as a depth of knowledge in multiple aspects of dentistry. In addition to general dentistry, they have sought extensive education in the areas of preventative dentistry. Combining today's advanced dental treatments and materials, along with the skill, experience, and commitment of our practice, (using both science and artistry) we can literally redesign your smile. Even a subtle change in your smile helps you to project an image of self-confidence and high personal esteem. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!