How Do You Clean Invisalign?
Good oral hygiene and maintenance are important to maintain a clean, invisible and smell-free linear aligner for Invisalign. While Invisalign allows aligners to be removed for storage and use, it can induce coloration and an aggregation of bacteria if your trays are not properly cleaned either. Just as cleaning is vital for healthy teeth and gums, it is also critical that your Invisalign trays are well cleansed for good oral hygiene. But don't worry, you can keep the trays as dry with the right knowledge as if you had them first.
Fortunately, it's easy and affordable to keep your smile bright. Here is a compilation of Invisalign Treatment Do's and Don'ts:
- When you remove them, rinse your aligners. Dry saliva and plate form the ideal breeding ground for bacteria that smell foul.
- Dental cleanser, Retainer Brite and the official Invisalign cleansing crystals are ideal ways to keep the cups dry and calm.
- Before re-inserting your aligners, brush and flow your teeth. Good oral hygiene is necessary if healthy teeth are to be preserved and caries and decay prevented. For Invisalign type fitted, you can catch toxic substances between your teeth and lining without sufficient brush and floss, which will increase your risk of dental problems in future.
- Cleaning the alignments with a sterile antibacterial soap is an ideal and economical way to keep the alignments dry, clean and protected from harmful bacteria.
- Gently clean the aligners. Heavy brushing will scrape your alignments and leave noticeable gravure. Clean gently! Brush carefully!
- When wearing Invisalign, eat or drink (anything but water). Some foods and beverages will smear or discolor and stink your alignment.
- To wash the aligners, use toothpaste. Many kinds of toothpaste (particularly whitening agents) are abrasive and can dull your aligners or make little traps for bacteria to live.
- While antimicrobial soap will clean the Invisalign braces, it can cause the aligners to take different shades and colors with anything but clear soap.
- Leaving your aligners vulnerable or uncovered during your meal. Besides the increasing risk of mis-placed them, the access to dangerous germs and bacteria by the aligners is free. Soak them and, before returning them to your lips, rinse them again.
You need to keep your teeth and trays in good condition while the trays work their magic for the more effective Invisalign treatment. It's not so clear if your teeth are not clean, either. Follow the instructions the orthodontist provides to wash Invisalign trays, and before you even learn, you have a cleaner, nicer face.
Traveling Tips with Invisalign
- Please bring your previous aligner sets, your new sets and your next aligner set with you depending on the length of your ride. Depending on how long the current set is used, it decides whether you go back to the previous set or to the next set. General thumb rule, if the current alignments are tight, return. If you can easily remove them and move on to the next set in the second week. But, if possible, let your orthodontist decide and immediately call him or her.
- If you're out of the city for over two weeks, keep using your previous set until the new ones are forwarded and start the new set again.
- Be prepared. When you are flying, please take your aligners with you in a box or bag. Baggage may be missed or postponed.
- Since eating during your trip, is not always convenient to brush your teeth. Upon oral reintroduction, at least rinse off your teeth and aligners. Once you get back to your room, you should brush your teeth. This is not perfect, but in a pinch appropriate.